Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 73

Thread: Best academic high school

  1. #21
    Inactive Member Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 22nd, 2006
    Posts
    197
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Best academic high school

    And you compared them to every other county/city west of Roanoke? Or is that published? Again I'm not saying I don't believe you- it's just if they have a comparison list I'd like to see it..

  2. #22
    Inactive Member imported_UKCats1's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2004
    Posts
    607
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Best academic high school

    The tax payers do not pay as much as everyone for consolidation might think. For each student that Wise County gets we get a sum of money from the state to teach those children. I am not sure about the exact amount but I believe that for every child in the Wise County School system the state ponies up almost $7,000. That is based on the ADM numbers. So if a child comes from Russel County to Wise County to go to school Wise County gets an additional $7000 toward their budget. What it is coming down to is that it does not cost as much money to teach a child that has good grades as it does to teach a child that is Special Ed. Most counties will not take kids from outside of their district if they are Special Ed because of the cost to teach these kids. I hear everyone talk about charging tuition and other things for out of district kids well you should remember the state is giving you a good amount of money to teach these kids as well.
    [url="http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/scorecard/02/01/sterger.roadtrip/p1_sterger.jpg"]http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/scorecard/02/01/sterger.roadtrip/p1_sterger.jpg[/url]

  3. #23
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Best academic high school

    It was published in the KTN I believe. Maybe this link will help you out:

    2005 SOL VA SOL scores

    The closest I have found to Scott County HS west of Roanoke was VA High who had a 87 average. RC had an 89, GC a 94, and TS a 90.

    I will admit I have not viewed all of them but pretty much everyone from Giles County down. I hadn't checked all Roanoke City schools, etc, but I think they were included in the papers article.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  4. #24
    Inactive Member Widespread_Panic's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2004
    Posts
    325
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Best academic high school

    [ QUOTE ]
    From an academic standpoint, what's the best high school in the area? Why do you think so? Thanks.


    [/ QUOTE ]

    It depends on what area you are talking about. In SWVA I would choose Abingdon High School. Abingdon has won several Wachovia Cup Awards, their use of technology is superior to a lot of schools in this area, and it's big enough that your child would get good social experiences as well. A majority of the high schools in Wise, Scott, Dickenson, etc. are so small that they don't really prepare students for entering the larger colleges because their students have always had that big fish in a small pond experience and most get overwhelmed when they are away from home.
    The test is simple, if "your" team wins a national championship, do you get a championship ring? If the answer is yes, then you can say "we." If not, you can't.

  5. #25
    Inactive Member imported_sherk's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 21st, 2005
    Posts
    38
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Best academic high school

    Ok I agree that the state gives Wise county money for every student even those that come from other counties but a few dollars does not justify a whole school nor does it justify a public school that functions as a private school.

    Where are the newest schools in Wise County? They are in Saint Paul while the other county schools are in need of repair.

  6. #26
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Best academic high school

    Haha, been in St Paul in a while? They are in the same boat as the rest of us, except the Wise County enrollment at that Wise County school is by far the smallest. The folks at St Paul are getting it the hard way, I recall a board meeting where the citizens and students (and they helped raise the money, if I'm thinking right)at St Paul were going to comprimise on the seperate and equal requirements of ...whichever title it is IX, I think. A curtain to seperate the gym for B-ball practice, save big bucks. Some dummy on the board objected, this was about the time Gregory gave up, I think. Still ,they put up good scores. Makes it hard to think bigger is always better. An unequal plan set the county back 15 years.

  7. #27
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Best academic high school

    [ QUOTE ]
    Saint Paul likes to select the best academic students from Russell county to improve their standards. The fact that they pick and choose who they allow to attend their school allows them to function like a private school but the tax payers of Wise county pays the bill.



    [/ QUOTE ] I like St Paul as well as anyone, but your story?
    Appy High -82
    Coeburn High-75
    JJ Kelly 72
    JI Burton 69
    Pound High-83
    Powell Valley High-70
    St Paul 84
    They aren't too far ahead of Appy or Pound to be doing what you claim. A 1 and 2 point advantage. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] But I would like to know how they "pick and choose".

  8. #28
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Best academic high school

    [ QUOTE ]
    depends on what area you are talking about. In SWVA I would choose Abingdon High School. Abingdon has won several Wachovia Cup Awards, their use of technology

    [/ QUOTE ] That cup is based everything- sports, drama, sportsmanship- the whole nine yards. Washington County schools didn't set the world afire in the sols ,either.
    Abingdon-69
    JSB-75
    Pat Henry-74
    Holston-80

  9. #29
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Best academic high school

    [ QUOTE ]
    The tax payers do not pay as much as everyone for consolidation might think. For each student that Wise County gets we get a sum of money from the state to teach those children.

    [/ QUOTE ] That money can't be used for new construction [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] it is already being spent to teach the kids. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

  10. #30
    Inactive Member Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 22nd, 2006
    Posts
    197
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Best academic high school

    Sorry seldom scene but there are two Wachovia Cups- one for academics and one for athletics. I believe Widespread was referring to the fact that Abingdon has won the academic version of the cup several times. For the 2005-2006 year they were second behind Charlottesville.



Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •